Alberta Development has submitted a master development plan to build 3.3 million square feet at Orchard and I-25.
It can be difficult to conceptualize the size of the proposed development, so here are some comparisons. Therefore, 3.3 million square feet is equivalent to:
- Three (3) times Republic Plaza – The Republic Plaza is the tallest building in Downtown Denver and is 56 floors and contains 1,279,000 square feet of office space.
- Eight (8) times Ikea – the one in Centennial is 415,000 sqft and sits on 13.5 acres, which 30,700 sqft per acre. Orchard Station is proposed to be 3,300,000 sqft on 24 acres with 7.5 acres of parks. Net of parks, Orchard Station will be 200,000 sqft per acre, which is 6.5 times the density of Ikea.
- Three (3) times Cherry Creek Mall – Cherry Creek Mall is just over 1 million square feet.
- Two (2) times Park Meadows Mall – As of 2007, Park Meadows was the largest shopping mall in Denver at 1.6 million square feet.
- Three-fourths (3/4) the Sears Tower – The former tallest building in the world contains 110 stories and 4.5 million square feet (3.8 million is rentable), which is equivalent to 16-city blocks in Chicago.
Image of the Republic Plaza (imagine 3 times the density of this building at Orchard and I-25)